Friday, February 3, 2012

Settling in

The past month has felt like a dream that I’ve been floating through meeting lots of people and experiencing a new culture, but not reality. Not the job that in reality it is. It has been a month long vacation in a tropical paradise. 
Wednesday we moved into the house we will stay in for the rest of our stay. Our numbers have dwindled from 50 the first 2 weeks, to 17 the last two weeks and now we’re at 3 (and a possible kitty). Hannah, Nazeeha and I are sharing a two story house in a suburb of the capital of Terengganu. It’s a great location. Still pretty rural but only a 10 minute ride from the conveniences of the city.
The first two days at my school have been pretty overwhelming. There are a lot of people to meet and places to figure out. It doesn’t help that everyone is very busy and barely anyone speaks English. I am managing though and all of the teachers are trying their best to help me out where they can.
The students are great although most of them are to scared to say more than a few words to me. I have yet to teach a class on my own. Next week I will take on that adventure. So far I have sat in on two classes. The teacher reviewed the question words and then they all took turns on asking me questions. Revelations from that exercise include: my blue eyes are a source of many complements, I need to learn more about K-pop music and famous soccer players, and the only Mexican food Malaysians have heard of are nachos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment