Saturday, May 19, 2012

My perfect Malaysian Day

Hanging out during Teacher's Day

Wednesday May 16 was Teacher’s day here in Malaysia and it was easily my favorite day since arriving here in Malaysia on January 4. 

Malaysian schools go all out for Teacher’s day celebrations. There was a parade of teachers, an assembly honoring the teachers and celebrating birthdays, a lunch feast, games like water balloon toss and rubber band shooting, and a talent show. Oh, and lots of presents. Lots and lots of presents. I am now set in my coffee mug, tubaware, pen needs for the rest of the year. 

Playing water balloon toss against the other teachers. I got second.
I spent most of the morning in sheer panic because I had been forcibly volunteered to sing Selenia Gomez’s “Love you like a love song” to the entire school for the talent show. For those of you who have witnessed my singing abilities in the past you may remember that I have absolutely no ability to remember a tune or to sing on pitch. Luckily, a few of my favorite students took pity on me and agreed to be my back up. We sang and we were even asked for an encore. I had a blast working with them all day and I was able to hang out with the drama kids who were preparing for their skit as well.
On stage singing with my two awesome backup singers.

It was the first time where all of the kids, teachers, and administrators were relaxed and just enjoying themselves. I had a great time chilling with the students and soaking in the emotions of everyone at school. It was my perfect Malaysian Day, which lead directly into a pretty awesome weekend.

At the end of the day I had to rush home to catch my plane to KL for the weekend. All 50 of the ETAs were gathering in the capital for the mid year meeting. It was the first time we had all seen each other since the first half of January. Good food, story swapping, and fun were all apart of the weekend along with meetings with the Ambassador and the Malaysian Ministry of Education. We parted to prepare for a week of exams and then 2 weeks of vacation. I, myself, will be heading to Sydney, Australia for two weeks taking my continent count to 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment